Is it Safe to Give Raisins to Children?

Is it Safe to Give Raisins to Children?

Raisins have a sweet and delicious taste that is in demand by many people, including children. Besides being delicious, raisins also contain a variety of nutrients that are good for health. However, is it safe to give raisins to children?

Raisins are processed products from grapes that are intentionally dried in the sun or food dryers. Well, this drying process will condense the nutrients and sugar present in the grapes, so that the grapes become sweeter raisins.

Raisins are Safe to Give to Children

Although it has a sweet taste, raisins are safe to give to children. Besides containing sugar, this dried fruit also contains carbohydrates, fiber, sodium, potassium, iron, calcium, vitamin C, antioxidants, and a little protein.

Generally, raisins can be introduced to children when they are good at chewing or consuming finger food, which is around the age of 9-12 months. Raisins can be used as a snack on the sidelines of the Little One's main meal schedule.

Mothers are not recommended to give raisins to their little ones if they are under 9 months old. At this age, children tend not to be able to chew well. Because of their small size, raisins run the risk of choking your little one and endangering his safety.

Besides being delicious to eat directly, raisins can also be consumed as a topping for fruit salads, made into pastries, and delicious mixed with oatmeal, yogurt, or cereal. The benefits of raisins for children's health include:
  • Maintain dental health
  • Improve digestive health
  • Prevents iron deficiency anemia
  • Control your appetite
  • Fights free radicals and protects cells from damage
  • Maintain healthy bones and joints
Although beneficial for children's health, raisins have a negative impact if your little one consumes them in large quantities. Because of their sweet taste, large amounts of raisins can increase the risk of overweight or obesity.

In addition, raisins also have a chewy texture and easily stick to the teeth. If you are not diligent in cleaning your teeth after eating raisins, your little one will be more at risk of having cavities.

  • So that your little one can get the maximum benefits of raisins, there are some tips that you can do, namely:
  • Make sure the raisins you buy do not contain added sugar.
  • Do not buy raisins that contain preservatives.
  • Make sure the raisin product that you want to buy goes through a drying process without using oil or frying.
  • Make sure that the raisin product has a marketing authorization and is not expired.
  • Limit the amount of raisins given, because your little one must get other nutrients that are more important from the main food.
  • Teach your little one to limit the number of snacks eaten. Get him used to sticking to a regular schedule of snacks and main meals.
  • Remind and invite your little one to rinse their mouth or brush their teeth after eating raisins.
Through the information above, now you don't need to hesitate anymore to give raisins as a child's snack. However, also remember that there are other healthier snack options, such as dried apricots and dried prunes (prunes) that are lower in sugar or fresh fruit.

If you still have questions about consuming raisins or what snacks are good for your little one, don't hesitate to ask the doctor, okay?